Sunday, June 3, 2018

Running with an Unseen Obstacle: Asthma

John at the Passavant 10k
I have been a runner since I was 14 years old. Like most others, I run to relax, to destress, to think, to reflect. However, in my mid 30's, I continued to have "trouble" every time I ran, which often resulted in bronchitis and a couple times pneumonia, and I stopped running. At around 42, I was diagnosed with asthma and allergies (to mold, dust, and pretty much every tree and grass pollen).
After the second year of treatment for allergies and asthma, I decided to try running again. I found that if I was careful, I could run without any issues. That was at age 44. After a few months of consistent running, my wife, Mollie, talked me into registering for a race . I have been in several races since, including 5k's, 10k's, and half marathons.
The triggers for my asthma issues are mostly from pollen allergies, but I also have trouble when I go from warm air to cold air or vice versa. One of the toughest things for me is that because I lived with asthma for most of my life not knowing I had it, I often don't realize when my breathing is affected - Mollie usually tells me. When I am having major asthma issues, I have coughing fits and often get tunnel vision (dark in the peripheral vision). While asthma affects everyone slightly differently, preventative routines are similar. To combat asthma, like a lot of runners with asthma, I use my inhaler preventatively before races and strenuous training runs.
My running friends may know that I have asthma, but most don't know what an obstacle it is. Unfortunately, if I have an asthma issue, it may take me 2-5 days to recover enough to run without any further issues. The day after an asthma issue typically leaves me drained and exhausted. Therefore, if I want to maintain a good running regimen, I have to be careful and factor in the allergy forecast, temperature, and my activities for the day.
On race day, I warm up, and then let my breathing guide my pace. I would love to be able to push my pace, but know I have to keep my breathing steady. I have to be careful after a race as well.  I try to walk back and forth a lot to cool down slowly. The rest of the day of a 10k or half marathon may present some minor asthma irritation.
I am often stubborn and do things like when I mow the lawn, then run 6 miles. The last time I did this, the run turned rough at the 3 mile turn-around. As soon as I got back from the run, I had a major asthma issue. Afterward I had to take off 3 days from running. This often carries over and affects my races. The morning before my last 10k race, I coughed and hacked through my warmup. I honestly wasn't sure if I would be able to run the race. Finally, my lungs relaxed. I took my time through the 1st half mile, making sure I would be ok. The race went well - I felt great after the halfway point and ran a good back half. I chatted with a few people while waiting for Mollie, and when she finished the race, she told me I was breathing hard and needed to use my inhaler - I didn't even realize I was having trouble.
As I think about my obstacles with asthma, I think about other runners I see using inhalers before or after a race. I do not look at asthma as a handicap or a disability - it is an obstacle. While runners have to respect our bodies and their limits, running with asthma is an obstacle  that comes with unpredictable outcomes. Sometimes everything works out, and sometimes a run has to be cut short or cancelled to prevent longer downtime. For me spring is the toughest time of year - if the pollen count is high, it's almost certain that I will have trouble. However, after that, I can usually run with little to no issues. It is then that I can work on improving my pace.
I do not convey this to ask for sympathy for runners with asthma, but only to explain the obstacle we have to overcome to do what we love. Feel free to look out for us if we are being overzealous and let us know if we are wheezing or breathing weird, as we may not realize it. Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment